Monday, November 8, 2010

The Incredible Egg

I have an egg in a cup of vinegar on my counter.
It's been there since Friday when, for Health,I decided to show the effects acid has on your teeth. The Health demonstration turned into a total science experiment, when the kids observed that tiny gas bubbles attached themselves to the egg and caused it to become buoyant. Then as the bubbles popped, the egg moved. Wow, a health lesson and a physics lesson all in one.
Then they started noticing that as the shell became soft and rubbery it started changing shape. The egg is absorbing liquid now and the shell has cracks all over it.

Hmmm, I can add a lesson about osmosis and semipermeable membranes here too. It's amazing what can be learned from having an egg in a cup of vinegar on the counter.

And here the kids thought they were just going to see how acid eats away tooth enamel, and feel a rubber egg.















3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I think I'm going to have to do this with my kids, too. They love to leave odd things laying around on my counter as 'experiments' so I think they'll get a kick out of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great lesson, feel free to come over and teach it to my kids!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids want to see how long until it disintegrates.
    Sheri, that would be a long drive. ;)
    I'm trying to figure out what Bible lesson would go with it. I'm sure there is one in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.