Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A Glory Adventure

I have been wanting to blog all week however, it has been so crazy I haven't had the chance, but now I am. So here goes.

The power went out last weekend due to a storm system (one of 3) that swept through where we live. Friday morning at about 8 am, we were without power. However, we had prepared and planned for it because we had a feeling there would be power outages. (It couldn’t possibly be the 3 emails my husband received at work, or the fact that he was put on call all weekend to come into work should the need arise, or the news casts for the week prior that said be prepared or the newspaper that had the same warning…) Whatever the case, we were ready. Thursday night I was rummaging through boxes searching for our extra batteries, candles, flashlights… I had filled up several containers with water just in case we lost that luxury but we did not. Friday morning we had cereal for breakfast. (The only time I opened the fridge was that one time for the milk) We boiled water on the gas grill outside (our stove is electric) for coffee and hot cocoa. I crushed coffee beans with my manual mini food chopper so we could have coffee using our coffee press.

I made pumpkin muffins the day before so we could have a good snack to eat so we munched on those while drinking our coffee and cocoa for the kids and played Mexican train (a domino game) by candlelight and the little bit of light that came in through the window. We also did a little bit of school by playing a game with the map of the world and the president chart we have up on the wall in our dinning room. We had lunch still enjoying ourselves in the midst of a huge storm blowing outside. However, by about 2 it was only about 62 degrees in the house as the only thing we did not have was heat. So we packed the kids and went to our in-laws!

When we got there, we discovered that Mario’s siblings that are in town were also taking refuge over there. They had no power, but they had heat from the woodstove. We stayed there over night (for obvious reasons) we told stories, played games, and just hung out as a family. It was tons of fun and I highly recommend it. We stayed at the in-laws until late Saturday, as our power did not come back on until Saturday night at 8pm. Their power came back on around 9:30 Saturday morning. Thankfully almost none of the food spoiled and the damage from the trees in our yard was practically nothing just a few little twigs.

Looking around as we drove to my in-laws practically the whole city was without power except some very small pockets. There were fences down everywhere, whole trees uprooted and laying on houses or in the road. There were over a thousand calls to 911 during the weekend and thankfully, my husband was able stay home instead of going to work. I know that other places in the country have suffered so much more than that from storms of all kinds but I honestly cannot remember a time here that we have had so much damage form a storm. There are still people without power I think they are projecting that power will be restored completely by the 11th.

We are still being hit with rainstorms but nothing like that. I have boxes now half-unpacked all over as my candles were in separate boxes depending on the room they were in when I was packing up all the home décor stuff and then there was of course another box to dig through to find the batteries. I am finally starting to feel like I am caught up from not doing anything for a day and a half and then cleaning up after the messes we made searching for stuff. I am so thankful that I have power and none of the systems that have come through sense have been as powerful as this past weekend's.

I hate the cold and rain because I have a hard time getting and staying warm. I really wish all the really cold weather and rain would just move on so that I can enjoy being warm again. I am trying to be thankful that we have the much-needed rain. I am trying to remember that God created this beautiful weather even though it seems dreary. I am now where close to being thankful like I should, but I am trying to be thankful for the weather God has chosen to give us. We really do need the rain; it has been a very dry season so far.

Psalm 118:24

This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Thessalonians 5:18

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.