Saturday, January 26, 2008

Reckless Abandon For Christ

John Paul Jackson spoke this phrase over me 13 years ago when he came to speak at the church I was attending. That was the first thing he said to me. Then he said that I was a spiritual nurse. (I wanted to be a nurse by profession at that point and actually took prerequisite courses for this. However, God changed my plan and steered me towards teaching. I have seen myself in the role of spiritual nurse many times.) Also, he said I had the gift of teaching. (I taught preschool for a long while along with many other jobs that involved me teaching and now I am a teacher to my kids.) Then the last thing he said to me was that God was preparing my spiritual mate for me. (I was extremely good friends with my now hubby at that point and just a few months later we started dating.) The words he spoke over me were all-true and confirmed every one of them. A few months later, someone else uttered the words “reckless abandon” to me, this person did not go to my church and had no idea what had been said to me before. God is good about confirming everything that is of Him. However, reckless abandon is something that I have thought about a lot lately. Do I still have that?


To be recklessly abandoned for Christ is to be completely surrendered to Christ without restraint, inhibitions, or moderation and to be completely unconcerned and at total peace about the consequences of what could happen.


Do I still have that? Am I still unconcerned about the consequences of what it means to serve Christ? Paul is one of my favorite Bible authors I know that he was recklessly abandoned for Christ. Serving God landed him in so much “trouble” all the time. But, all of that “trouble” made him so much more effective in ministry. God uses everything for his glory. I believe Job was also recklessly abandoned. He did not waiver or falter throughout his trials. How about Mary? She carried Jesus in her womb even though that I am sure brought her a lot of ridicule from those on the outside. She accepted that task knowing she could have been stoned to death.
I know that I do serve the Lord without concern about what could happen or what people will think. I know that most of the time I speak the truth without being worried that the person might be offended. I do struggle sometimes with that. I know that it is only the enemy trying to shut me up.
What I question most is; am I teaching my kids how to be recklessly abandoned? I have seen them in action and I am sure that they are headed in the right direction but my heart is that no matter what the consequence they will not waiver in their devotion to God. In these times, it is so much more important than ever that I am diligent in teaching them and showing them how to be recklessly abandoned to Christ.
Philippians 1:20 & 21 -- According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
Job 1:22 -- In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.
Luke 1:38 -- And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.