Friday, February 1, 2008

A Fun Filled Friday

Today we took the kids to see The Pirates Who Don’t Do Anything today. We only take the kids to the movies once a year because it is tremendously expensive so we choose carefully each time we do this. We only take them to movies we know will not have anything inappropriate in them which means we are very limited to say Veggies and Winnie the Pooh. The preview they had at the beginning of this movie geared towards the 2-6 year olds was unfortunately for a movie for adults. I do not know the name but for a full five minutes, the kids eyes were closed and I was baffled at the idiocy of whoever thought that putting a scary trailer on a little kids movie would be a good idea. But that is the movie industry for you. In spite of the first five minutes though, it was so much fun! Baby G is 14 months and she did better than any of the other kids have done on their first trips to the movies. She was so cute watching the movie. When she saw Bob and Larry, at the beginning, her grin was bigger than her face and she actually watched most of the movie. The kids loved the movie and as soon as we were walking out the door of the theater, they were asking if we could own it when it came out. Of course, we said yes, we own every Veggie Tale movie. We started collecting them back in 1998 before we even had kiddos to enjoy them.

I am going to tell you now what we do to make the movies as inexpensive as possible. We go to a matinée in the middle of the week of course. Then because you have to have popcorn at the movies, we buy the jumbo size that allows for a free refill. Then we know we will need something to drink and I know that we could do water but we just share drinks. The older girls share one, I share one with our Little Man, and the Daddy gets one to himself. I have plastic baggies that I put popcorn in for each of the kids so they do not have to reach over each other or pass back and forth. It works for us and for five people (Baby G is free) we spent $30 on tickets and $16 on drinks. For less than $50, we do well. Especially since, we only go once a year.



2 comments:

  1. I have been planning to take my 4 and 6 yr olds to see this. I was so excited when I heard it was coming out, as there are so few movies that they can go see these days!
    Dh's brother and wife usually give us a generous movie giftcard every Christmas, so that helps with the cost - but it is usually used up pretty quickly with all that popcorn! (I, too, think you just have to have it when you go to the movies!) Thanks for the tips!

    Oh, and I have been enjoying your series on reckless abandonment - I know that I am too often more concerned with what others think than I am with just freely obeying the Lord - come what may! Thank you for your inspiring posts!

    Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy. I know how easy it is to become concerned about others thoughts of myself, even if they are close friends.

    I hope you have fun with your little ones at the movie. My suggestion is go as soon as possible so you don't have to drive to the next city just to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.