Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mommy Lesson 20 - Be a Lighthouse

A few weeks ago we studied lighthouses. As with any unit study we do, I tied in our Bible study into the lesson. With lighthouses it was really easy to correlate how God wants us to be lighthouses in our walk with Him. We talked about all the ways we can be a lighthouse to let our light shine to all men. We talked about the Fruit of the Spirit and about the definition of love and that if we walk in the Fruit of the Sprit and Love then we will be lighthouses. We talked about how if we do everything without grumbling or complaining as the Bible says then we will be lighthouses. It was a great week of discussion about how to be living lighthouses. When the kids would start to bicker or complain, I would ask them if they were being a lighthouse and they would correct their attitude. It was really a great object lesson for how our attitudes should be.

When we do a lesson like that it is so easy for me to teach them while ignoring my own heart. Am I always a lighthouse to my kids? If I do things with grumbling and complaining or if I lack patience or joy then I am not being that lighthouse to my kids. If I am not a lighthouse to them, I cannot expect them to be a lighthouse to others. It is extremely important, as a mom, that I am that example in all things to them of how they should be. If I cannot be their example, who will be?

Galatians 5:22-23 (HCSB) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Ephesians 5:8-10 (HCSB) For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light — for the fruit of the light results in all goodness, righteousness, and truth - discerning what is pleasing to the Lord.

Philippians 2:14-15 (HCSB) Do everything without grumbling and arguing, so that you may be blameless and pure, children of God who are faultless in a crooked and perverted generation, among whom you shine like stars in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.