Monday, October 31, 2011

Mommy Lesson 29 - God's Plans are Better

When you first hold your little one in your arms you have so many thoughts and your dreams for him (or her) come flooding in. As moms, we have great ideas and plans for who our kids are going to be, what they are going to be like and how they will behave. Great intentions and wonderful plans carefully thought out, by us. And then a few moments later, reality sets in. Those wonderful ideas are most likely not God’s plans.
In Proverbs it says if you bring up your child in the way he should go he will not depart from it. Many parents will quote that verse as they are laying out their blueprint for their little one’s life. But the truth is that before that precious blessing was even conceived, plans greater than ours were already set into motion. And that verse is not about training them in the way we think they should go, but according to God’s plan.

God has given each of my little one's specific personalities with likes and dislikes unique to them. Things that they enjoy for fun and other things they really have no desire to do. My job as a mom is to encourage them in their passions and equip them in ways that will help them be successful as they grow into adulthood. If I lay down my desires for them and take up God desires for them and teach them the way they should go according to God's will, then they will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6 (HCSB) Teach a youth about the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
Psalm 139:13-16 (HCSB) For it was You who created my inward parts; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I will praise You, because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made. Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well. My bones were not hidden from You when I was made in secret, when I was formed in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began.
Jeremiah 29:11 (HCSB) For I know the plans I have for you" - this is the LORD's declaration -"plans for your welfare, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.