Monday, October 31, 2011

Mommy Lesson 28 - Mary and Martha

There are many times throughout my day where I have the opportunity to hear God speak to me. I miss most of them I am sure, as I am self-absorbed in all that I have determined I need to accomplish.
When the kids are babies, they spend every moment absorbing in all the information they can, constantly learning about the world. We need to be like the little babies and pay attention to what God is trying to teach us each day. I know that I need to take more time listening to God’s voice like Mary and less time trying to check off the to-do list like Martha.
There are so many times where God has spoken to me through a movie the kids are watching or a book I am reading to them. There are other times where God speaks to me as I am imparting wisdom to the older kids. God speaks through everything all the time and my job is just to pay attention. I know that there are days that go by when I am so self-absorbed in my day that I forget to stop and listen or see what God is trying to show me. I need to remember how my kids were when they were babies never wasting a learning opportunity and applying that to my adult life. I need to realize that just as I set up learning opportunities for my children He sets them up for me. I cannot be distracted with life and miss those opportunities.

Luke 10:38-42 (HCSB) While they were traveling, He entered a village, and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who also sat at the Lord's feet and was listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks, and she came up and asked, "Lord, don't You care that my sister has left me to serve alone? So tell her to give me a hand." The Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has made the right choice, and it will not be taken away from her."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.