Monday, October 31, 2011

Mommy Lesson 31 - I'm Not Done Learning

Before I became a mommy I read all sorts of books and took all sorts of classes about raising children, caring for children, teaching children and child development. I had been babysitting since I was 12 and was a nanny, not to mention I am the oldest of four kids. So I felt that I had this whole mommy thing figured out. Oh my goodness was I so totally wrong! The truth is that the books are good and all but they don’t know what they are talking about and the classes, well let’s just say they were all malarkey. Okay maybe not totally but mostly.

The truth is that without God, I have no clue what I am doing. Every day I face challenges while raising my kids that remind me, I don’t know what I am doing and unless I am constantly seeking God. Every kid is different and for the most part, no book will be able to tell you what to do. Yes the books have good ideas but none of them will fit every child all the time. I have also learned that the best books are written by parents who have already raised their kids and their kids are proof that how they were parented worked. The books written by those who haven’t raised several kids but are written by “trained professionals” are only good for lining the litter box. One cannot be a parenting expert unless they have been a parent and it helps if they have parented more than one child so they can realize that every child responds differently.


Without God I have no clue what I am doing, is the last lesson I am sharing this month. It has been a great 31 days even though I got sick and had to cram some posts in on the last day. I have enjoyed sharing my heart and what I have learned over the years so far. I know that I am not done learning. I am excited to see what lessons I will be learning as I venture further into the teen years with my kids. I know that enjoying the journey is essential and that I love being a mommy. I hope you enjoyed this series as much as I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.