Friday, October 7, 2011

Mommy Lesson 7 - Wisdom is Essential

Anyone who has been a mommy for more than 2 minutes will be able to tell you that being a mommy is full of tough decisions. The decisions from the very beginning where you second guess yourself about what car seat, crib, stroller to later when you are trying to figure out sleeping, feeding, and playtime. There are so many decisions to make. And everyone you meet asks you about those decisions and then gives you their two cents on the matter. (I have been on both sides of those conversations.)

Then as the kids get older and you have the training and discipline issues. You find yourself constantly asking the question, is this a behavior issue or character issue or is there something else that needs to be addressed? Seriously tough to answer questions as you try to figure out what is in the best interest for that child. Constantly asking yourself if what you are doing is right or should you change it up. We are bombarded everyday with decisions that directly impact our kids and we really never want to make the wrong decision.

Right now, for me, I face daily challenges about the kids schooling. With four kids who each have a different learning style, I am always asking myself if I am teaching them the way they learn best or am I needing to switch it up. I agonize over books and curriculum purchases afraid that the one I buy won’t really be the one they need. I have learned this year even more about seeking God as I try to make the right decisions. Homeschooling is so great in that area. Knowing that I can tailor each child’s school to the way that they learn best is so great. But knowing what is the right one can be so confusing as you get the conversations about what you are using and why and then you hear their two cents about that decision. (Again, I have been on both sides of that conversation.) Then I go back and rethink my choice wondering if I made the right choice. I really don’t want to mess it up.

But I have learned to not be afraid of messing up. I know that I am going to mess up. I am it’s just a fact. I am not perfect and sometimes the decision I make may not be the right one. However, I know that God will be there to help me make the right decision and help me fix it when I do mess up. I pray every day for the wisdom I need to be able to teach and guide my kids in the way they should go. I have learned that one of the most important tools I need in my mommy belt is wisdom and that wisdom only comes from God.

Proverbs 2:6-7 (HCSB) For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He stores up success for the upright; He is a shield for those who live with integrity.

Proverbs 13:10 (HCSB) Arrogance leads to nothing but strife, but wisdom is gained by those who take advice.

Proverbs 24:3 (HCSB) A house is built by wisdom, and it is established by understanding;

Proverbs 14:1 (HCSB) Every wise woman builds her house, but a foolish one tears it down with her own hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.