Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mommy Lesson 6 - Be Flexible

Flexibility is a major key to sanity. It seems I am continually learning how to be more flexible. I am a mom with a plan. I plan our day, our week, our school, our meals, our chores, and our fun. I love having a schedule and everything falling in place like a puzzle coming together. However I have landed on my face many times as my carefully coordinate schedule gets pulled out from under me.
The other day the kids’ behavior was responding to the weather change. They were all on edge and really not being themselves. It was so evident to me that if I attempted to do any structured school work, I would just have to reteach the material the next day. They were in no mental capacity to sit still and absorb new information or complete their school assignments. How did I know this? From past experience. I cannot tell you how many times I had them sit down to “do school” on days like that only to have them not remember any what they learned the very next day. And the tears and stress and arguments that ensue on those days is really not pleasant or worth it. So… I realized I needed to change the course of the day right then. (Hey, maybe I’m actually learning this lesson.) I told them that as long as they could get along nicely then they could just play and hang out instead of do school work. They were more than happy to oblige to that request and really tried hard to get along for the rest of the day. Had I forced them to sit and do school, we would have had much conflict and no real learning. Instead I was able to focus my attention on reminding them how to treat each other. (Seriously they really were just irritable.) This is also a very important lesson they need to be reminded of. Other days, I redirect our day in the opposite way in which we were going.

For the longest time, I would fight to keep to my plan every day no matter what the circumstance. Now I am much more able to remember the bigger picture and that in order to stay sane, I need to not stress when the day does not go according to plan.

Proverbs 16:2-4 (HCSB) All a man's ways seem right in his own eyes, but the LORD weighs the motives. Commit your activities to the LORD and your plans will be achieved. The LORD has prepared everything for His purpose—even the wicked for the day of disaster.

Proverbs 16:9 (HCSB) A man's heart plans his way, but the LORD determines his steps.

Proverbs 19:21 (HCSB) Many plans are in a man's heart, but the LORD's decree will prevail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.