Wednesday, July 2, 2014

A Divine Encounter



Hebrews 13:2
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers,
for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

She was walking up the driveway looking a bit dazed and confused. It is not out of the ordinary for people to walk my driveway, I manage a storage facility. People come by all the time, looking a bit lost when they are looking for the office not realizing it is my house. But this time there was something different. She walked in from the street, no car or bike could be seen. I went outside wondering what kind of encounter this was going to be.

“Can I help you?” came the unsure words out of my mouth as I approached.

She looks up asking if this is the office. “Why yes it is,” I say ready to find out how I could help her.

“Can I sit down for a minute?”

“Absolutely come sit.” I was a bit confused about her request but more than willing to let her sit on my porch steps.

She comes and sits down on the steps of the porch. I sit down next to her.

“Here is my story,” she starts off. “I recently had surgery and was going for a walk. I was going to walk to the light on the corner but can’t make it. Can I use your phone to call for a ride?”

Of course, absolutely. I step inside to grab the phone. She dials a number and asks a friend if they were free to pick her up. She hangs up after she finds out they aren’t able to come get her. So she asks if she could just rest for a minute.

I sit down next to her making sure she has some water to hydrate while she regains her strength. And then we talk. She wasn’t expecting me to sit down and be an ear. She just really was hoping she could rest in the shade. She had no idea the person who she would encounter would be willing to take time from her busy day to be a friend to a perfect stranger.

Hearing about what she was walking through at the time and the current trials she was facing, I became that confidant she needed at that moment. I can now pray for her and intercede for her while she walks through her valley.

My encounter with her was an answer to a prayer, or more like a complaint. I have friends who talk about their divine encounters. One friend has encounters all the time and I love hearing about them. I must admit that I was getting jealous though. I stay home pretty much all day every day. I am not out and about that often which means I rarely get that opportunity to be Jesus to a stranger. I asked God to give me a divine encounter. I really wanted one; I hadn’t had one in such a long time. I asked and He answered. He gave me a desire of my heart, a divine encounter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.