Saturday, March 24, 2007

Mommyhood - Death to Self

My Father-in-Law preached last Sunday on Dying Daily. It is continuous not a one time thing. Something many and I have heard before but this week the message had a much larger impact on me than usual. As I began to realize that I as a parent have a responsibility to teach my kids to die to themselves daily. What an awesome responsibility! I know that several times this week I have failed to die to my desires, wants, and attitudes. I also know that being able to identify when you screw up so you cannot do it again is a very important step in spiritual growth. I later Sunday afternoon, was talking to Kinza about what she learned from the message (kids in our church sit through service instead of going to Sunday School) and she asked me how we are supposed to die every day. I then explained how it is spiritual and we have to die to our own desires and attitudes every day and have Jesus’ desires and attitudes. What a deep conversation to be having with a 6 year old! After she left the room, I began praying and really seeking the Lord. How do I truly show my kids what this means? I know I need to be the living example and I know I am far from it on most days. So… throughout the week, God has been showing me. I have seen a lot of my spiritual ugliness this week. It really saddens me to see how far I am from dying daily. In addition, I saw how to show my munchkins how to die daily.

All week, Kinza has been struggling with her attitude more than ever. She has several times this week shown an ugliness that I once had as a kid and brought into my adult life. So, every time I recognized a training moment, I took it. Every time, I talked to her about our conversation about not having our attitude but setting it aside to have Jesus’ attitude. It has been a long week for both of us. I know that we are both far from being the flawless gems that God has created us to be but knowing that I am taking a step in the right direction makes me feel good.

I am growing in Christ as I am teaching, guiding, and training my kids to grow in Christ. If I fail to grow in the Lord daily, I am failing my kids. As a mommy, I do not want that. My heart is that I will fully die to my flesh daily and continuously. Dying to yourself does not happen just once and then you are finished. It is a daily, hourly, every second of every day process. I have to be continually reminded to die to myself and to take on the likeness of Christ completely.

Lord help me with this seemingly impossible task. I am sure to blow it everyday, but I am confident in your promises to continually forgive me and give me the strength to carry on.


Colossians 3 is a really good chapter for this area. It is more than one verse so I am not going to quote it. However, if you want a good read there you go.

2 Timothy 2:11-13 --- “Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us; if we are faithless, he will remain faithful, for he cannot disown himself.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.