Jell-O Cells -- We made lemon Jell-O; put it in plastic baggies along with candies to represent all the elements of an animal cell. I worked with each kid individually as each one assembled their cell. As they put each component into their bag, we discussed the job each part has in the cell.
A few notes
- Use light colored Jell-O like lemon.
- Take pictures right away, the candies will start to dissolve and then everything turns orange.
- Eat your cells right away, once the candy is dissolved it does not taste very good according to my kids who were greatly disappointed the next day when they tried to eat them.
- cell membrane - plastic bag
- cytoplasm - Jell-O with only half the cold water called for chilled until mostly set.
- centrosome - Lemon Head
- golgi body - red vine
- lysosome - orange sprees
- ribosome - red sprinkles
- mitochondria - canned mandarin slices
- vacuole - green jelly beans
- nucleus -purple gobstopers
- smooth endoplasmic reticulum - gummy worms
- rough endoplasmic reticulum - rip rolls (like fruit by the foot)