Saturday, July 24, 2010

Baking Confessions

I love to bake. Baking is one of my favorite pastimes. I love the aroma that lingers in the house after the goodies come out of the oven. The aroma of fresh baked goodness makes a house a home. Having food ready and waiting to offer someone is also a way of showing hospitality. (I am currently working on my hospitality skills. I feel so lacking in that skill and God calls us to be hospitable. ) 

For me though, baking is how I relieve stress and process stuff. While I am measuring, mixing, and kneading out my frustrations and my thoughts, I become more focused. The icing on the cake (ha, ha, ha... icing... cake - I crack myself up. Get it "crack" like an egg. Okay, maybe I need to go bake some more.) is the yummy aroma and the smiling faces on my kiddos and hubby (of course) when I pull something delectable out of the oven. Often times it is so hard to wait for it to cool off enough to eat. It is also a great way to unleash my creativity (of which I am seriously lacking) by coming up with fun food presentations.


I made these snickerdoodles the other night. I thought it would be really fun to do something different with them. So I searched the cupboards for a fun dish and came up with this. I coated the rim of a frosted martini glass (one of my dessert dishes) with cinnamon-sugar and then put the cookies in the glass. It made sense to me as snickerdoodles are covered in cinnamon-sugar. If you have never eaten a snickerdoodle you are totally missing out. *sigh* My spell-check keeps telling me that "snickerdoodle" isn't a word. Obviously it has never had a snickerdoodle, or it wouldn't say that, every time I type it.

Snickerdoodle, snickerdoodle, snickerdoodle.

I love how that sounds.



Anyway where was I?


This week was a bit stressful and I ended up baking lots of yummy goodies. It's great therapy and I highly recommend it. Unless you can't follow recipes and everything either comes out burnt or undercooked. Then you might need to come over for lessons.

But first, you must make these Muffins That Taste Like Donuts. (The kids are calling them "dough-muffins." They are delightfully scrumptious little morsels of heaven on earth. And they are easy to make.


Don't they look so very yummy? They made my mouth and tummy very happy. I made 24 mini muffins and they look like scrumptious little cinnamon-sugar coated donut holes. Aren't they just so cute? But I had some batter left over so I put it in my donut pan. 

Yes I have a donut pan, I know, I know I need professional help don't I? Sometime I should blog about all the fun baking pans I own, it isn't a big collection, yet. 

Okay back to these little delights. They were so fun to make and I am going to try making chocolate ones next. Then maybe I'll make healthy ones. Umm... question,  is there such a thing as a healthy donut? 




Oh wait, I don't like the sound of that. 

Healthy donut, healthy donut, healthy donut. 

Nope not going to work, donuts are donuts.
Next up: Brownies as They Should Be. Yummmmm


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.