Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Adventures In Adolescence

Luke 12:6-7 ~~ Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

These eyelashes are Princess K's. Princess K's name translates to "treasure" in English. She is my treasure, but more importantly she is God's treasure. She is quickly approaching that age all young girls seem to go through, where we question our worth and value. Are we pretty enough to be liked? Are we dressing so that we fit in? Will my friends still like me if...?

The uncertainty of our value comes up in our minds all the time as an adolescent. I know that this is a vulnerable spot in our minds and the enemy knows just when to attack that spot to cause us to question our value. I am reminded every day that my responsibility as a mom is to equip my kids to ward off the enemy's attacks in the battlefield that is their mind.  More than just speaking worth and love into their lives daily, I need to give them the tools necessary to battle those thoughts of uncertainty. Prayer and Bible memory are the most affective tools we have to ward off those attacks. Even on days when it seems like so little I know that God is so much bigger than those fiery darts of doubt and uncertainty.

Also, time. Spending serious quality time in mass quantities with my munchkins is so powerful. It's the bond that forms so strong between us that when I speak those words of encouragement and worth into her during those times when she is doubting, that she will hear and listen and most importantly believe and trust those words.


Psalm 139:13-14 ~~ For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.