Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mommy Lesson 16 - Mommies Need Rest

Did you know that it is okay to rest? Moms tend to go a million miles a second trying to get everything done that needs to get done and by the end of the day we crash into bet only to often be woken up before it is dawn and then hopefully get a little bit more sleep before it is time to get up and start the constant go all over again. It’s the cycle of mommy life. After the initial shock you get used to it and somehow learn to function on less uninterrupted sleep than you ever did before. Probably because you increased your caffeine intake exponentially. (At least that’s what I did.)

For me, when I sit for more than 10 minutes to just relax I start to feel guilty that I am not completing another task on my to-do list that is longer than Santa’s Naughty/Nice list. But rest is important, no, it is essential. It is okay to take a break from the craziness and breathe for a moment. Drink a cup of tea, eat a piece of chocolate, or whatever you do that makes you smile.

Remember even God rested on the 7th day. Don’t feel guilty that you are not constantly being productive and busy every moment of every day. Take a moment to snuggle with your littles and curl up on the couch or your favorite chair with a book. A moment to just be in the moment. I’m telling you, you will be more productive when you are well rested than if you are running ragged.

Genesis 2:2 (HCSB) By the seventh day, God completed His work that He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work that He had done.

Matthew 11:28 (HCSB) "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.