Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Mommy Lesson 17 - Pumpkins and Our Heart

I didn’t post for my 31 Days project yesterday but there is a very good reason. I spent the day with family and that is so much more important than anything else, especially a blog. By the time I could sit down to write a post, it was way too late.





I often take Mondays to run my errands and take the kids on field trips and yesterday we got to go to the pumpkin patch. We were able to take one of my nephews with us which made it so much more fun. An August rain storm was horrible for the patch and looking for any good pumpkins became a treasure hunt and the pumpkins we got are full of character. Whenever we came to a pumpkin we thought looked good, we would turn it over it was rotting on the bottom. It started to become frustrating for the kids. But we still had tons of fun.





Hunting for the pumpkins got me thinking. As people we always are trying to put our best foot forward and make a great first impression. Look great on the outside even though on the inside we are rotting, or just gross looking pumpkin guts. It reminded me of what God said about man looks on the outward appearance but God looks at our hearts. On the outside we can be a great big gorgeous pumpkin, one that wins blue ribbons. But if you looked inside, you would see that we really aren’t that great. We all have stuff in our lives that we can work on. Our kids can look great and be perfectly behaved and the house always clean and all our ducks can be in a row but if our hearts aren’t right with God, then the fact that we look awesome on the outside doesn’t matter. As a mom, I have learned that while the kids are awesomely behaved in public is great, it is more important that their hearts are what will win the blue ribbon. And mine too. My heart needs to be right with God or having everything look great to everyone else means nothing in the great scheme of things. Just like in picking pumpkins, we need to not be fooled by what we see on top, it’s what is underneath that matters.

1 Samuel 16:7 (HCSB) But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not look at his appearance or his stature, because I have rejected him. Man does not see what the LORD sees, for man sees what is visible, but the LORD sees the heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.