Sunday, October 2, 2011

Mommyhood Lesson 2 - Crocodiles and Dust Bunnies

Last night I was reading a story to Little G, as I do most every night before bed. The book she chose was Christopher is Not Afraid…Anymore. It is a cute little book that I have had since my preschool teacher days and I have read many, many times. This time as I was reading it, I realized that I use the book to remind the kids they have nothing to be afraid of and I really need that reminder myself. The kids’ fears are mostly small things – in my eyes – like crocodiles under the bed or trying a new trick or being too high on something but I realized last night that to a child those are really big fears. So giving them the tools to face the fears that are really big to them (even though in reality they aren’t all that big) is the same as me using the those very tools to face my really big fears that really aren’t that big compared to God. There are many fears I have faced as a mommy that I needed to totally trust God in. Like when Princess K was a baby and she was so very ill none of the doctors really knew what was wrong. And like when Daddy Reg lost his great paying job and we had no idea how we were going to survive. To me those fears were as giant as the crocodiles and swimming without water-wings for the first time and riding a bike without the training wheels. But to God they were little things that I needed to not be afraid of; because He already knew that everything would be fine, and those crocodiles are really just tiny little dust bunnies. It’s all about perspective and when my sights are on Jesus than really, why should I fear. He is so great that He conquered death. I mean really that is huge and the most awesomest thing anyone has ever done.

Psalm 27:1 (HCSB)
The LORD is my light and my salvation- whom should I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life- of whom should I be afraid?

Psalm 34:3-5(HCSB)
Proclaim with me the LORD's greatness; let us exalt His name together. I sought the LORD, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears. Those who look to Him are radiant with joy; their faces will never be ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.