Friday, March 22, 2013

Resurrection Garden


Last year we made a Resurrection Garden during Holy Week for Easter. This was such a fun activity that everyone of us enjoyed. This year the kids asked if we could do it again. Without hesitation I said yes.

Here is what you need so that you can make your own Resurrection Garden with your kids.


1 wide, flat, clay pot or other suitable dish
1 small pot (or a cup will work if you don't have a pot)
1 roundish rock to fit over the opening of the small pot
little pebbles
6 twigs or short sticks (3 long and 3 short)
hay or straw (optional)
glue gun
dirt or potting soil
grass seed
water (in a spray bottle works best)

We glued the twigs to make 3 crosses and wrapped small pieces of hay around the middles.

We placed some dirt in the bottom of the pot and placed the small pot sideways off to one side for the tomb.

Then we built up the dirt around the pot to make a hill and we sprinkled grass seed all over the hill of dirt.

We put the crosses on top of the hill and then made a path around the base of the hill and into the tomb pot.

Then we placed the rock in front of our tomb.

Our little garden had a prominent place on our dining table. A few times every day we would spray water on the seeded hill. It was so fun to watch as the grass started to grow. Mowing this little patch of grass required using some little scissors.

On the Saturday night before Easter when I was putting out all the Easter goodies, I moved the rock over to the side. When they woke up they saw that the stone was "rolled away" and that made them very excited.
After Easter our garden had a special place on our porch and Little G watered it every day.

This activity was so much fun to do last year. I love this hands on activity that is becoming a tradition in our family. The kids are excited to do this again this year and I am excited to see how God is going to use it to reveal yet more of Himself to the kids and even me.

And he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him. ~ Mark 16:6 ESV

4 comments:

  1. You are SO much more patient then I. I don't think I would have had the patience to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They work really well together so as long as I have it prepped it is not that stressful.

      Delete
  2. I love your beautiful resurrection garden! We made one for Easter this year, too. I used clay for the tomb instead of the flowerpot, and we had one cross in front of it. We used it as a centerpiece for our Easter table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clay for the tomb sounds so cool. I might try that next year. We've made one two years in a row. It stays on our table for a few months. Right now it is on our back porch. The kids love them so much.

      Delete

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.