Saturday, August 3, 2019

Snuggle Parties

Today in my Facebook memories a picture popped up of me holding my sleeping little one, with me saying I had so much to do but was choosing to hold her. And now, knowing that just over a week later she almost lost me forever, I am so glad I chose to ignore the tasks at hand and just hold her. Those responsibilities were eventually completed and that precious moment proved way more valuable than anything that needed to be done.

"My list of things to accomplish is so very long.
But holding this little one while she gets some much needed sleep
after a very restless night is the most important thing to do right now.
And honestly the most fun."
- August 3, 2016 -

9 days later, I went into cardiac arrest; 9 days later, I was clinically dead for 21 minutes; 9 days later she woke up and I wasn’t there. Life has not been the same since I miraculously walked out of the hospital. But now, I don’t feel guilty for choosing to spend the extra time with any of my kids. They can go to bed late, if that means the extra conversation happens. Their chores can wait, if that means we get a few minutes more to spend on a project. Those extra moments are more important than anything else. You may not get them tomorrow.

Today she told one of her sisters that I am her mommy because I comfort her. At least once a day she comes up to me and asks for a snuggle party, and every time I stop what I am doing and hold her. Sometimes for a few moments, sometimes longer.

Every day is a perfect day for a Snuggle Party

Choosing moments to hold, comfort, read a story to, and just be with our little ones should never come with guilt or shame, or a feeling of laziness. It’s okay for chores to wait, they are only little for a moment. It’s okay if the sink stays full, even overnight, you may not be there to hold them in the morning. The truth is we are not promised any moment in our life. At any minute life can change forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.