Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My Giant Sunflowers

I have several sunflowers that have popped up all over the yard and garden this year. It has been fun watching them randomly appear and then blossom into smiling flowers. I love them because I really don't have to do anything for them to stay alive and they attract bees. I love bees especially when they pollinate my veggies.

Here are the tallest flowers that have decided to make my garden their home. They are a fun addition to my garden. Much better than the insane amount of weeds that have also tried to make a home in my garden. (You can see those in this picture too.)
These two sunflower plants are so tall.

Here let me give you a different perspective.


See how tall they are? Granted I am crouched down a bit, but they are still really tall.
See their stems? I was afraid that they may not be able to hold themselves up but with a stalk this thick I am sure they will do fine.

And then there are the leaves. This picture really doesn't do their size justice. These leaves are about 8 inches wide!

It's crazy for me to think that I could ever plan to grow such ginormous sunflowers on my own. But, of course I didn't, they grew that big all by themselves. That's taking the initiative, don't you think?

Every time I look out my windows or go into the backyard, I smile as I see these giant beauties. But, since I am only 5'2" and they are over 8 feet tall, I really can't enjoy them to the fullest.

But wait there is hope for me yet.
Watch and see what happens when I pull out the big guns. (aka my telephoto lens)

 This is the flower at the very top.

Oh, hi guys. I love taking pictures of bees and random bugs. It is a hobby I have. So, keep doing what you're doing and don't mind me.

 Another perspective a few seconds later. It is a really pretty sunflower. Hmmmm not quit sure what the white thing is. A bug maybe, or maybe a spider's egg sack?

Here's another flower at the top.

Oh, wow! Check out these two bugs.
Do you see them on top of each other?
They really blend in to the center of this flower.

Okay you two... get a room!


Check this guy out. Isn't he pretty nifty too?


Ah sunflowers, thank you for gracing me with your presence this year so I can take lots of pictures of you and the bugs you attract.

So... which one is your favorite? I really couldn't decide.









This post is linked to Sweet Shot Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. I actaully stopped by to check out your homeschooling post and instead got distracted by your gorgeous sunflowers! I LOVE THEM! I've planted a variety of sunflowers this year to grow a sunflower house and I love to see each new one open :-)

    Thanks for sharing them with pictures :-)

    Blessings,
    Tammy ~@~
    Garden Glimpses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan.
    Thanks Tammy. They can be distracting. ;) I've been seen stopping everything just to check them out when more open up. Watching them bloom has been so much fun. Next year I plan on planting some different varieties. What varieties do you have growing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the last picture the best.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to Mommyhood Adventures! My little corner of the web where I post my adventures in mommyhood and life.